Sunday, April 5, 2009

Red Letter Christians

I've appreciated the ministry of Tony Compolo for a long time. Jesus is central to him, to me. Now I read that Tony defines himself as a Red Letter Christian. What a cool concept.

I guess maybe I'm a Red Letter Christian. Or, maybe not, since I tend to avoid politics. I'd rather develop people to carry out the mission of Jesus.

Maybe I'm doing that. As Diane was leaving church today, since I mentioned Red Letter Christians in my message, she commented that she thought that she was a Red Letter Christian too and thanked me for the tag.

As I think about Diane, just beginning the process to become an ordained United Methodist minister, I am rethinking the Red Letter message. I once thought Christianity was about being the "Called Church." But now I think it's about being the "Sent Church." What do you think?

The youth are leaving on their mission trip Thursday. Going to 9/11 Memorial in New York City, then the Holocast Museum in DC. I hope they will come home even more missional than they already are.

Just a note: our rural county, having raised the $17,000 necessary, packaged 76,000 meals in 4 hours Saturday for Kids Against Hunger. Maybe 200 people helped, 20 from our church. The meals consist of dry soy, dry vegetables, vitamins and rice, and were packaged in sealed plastic bags to be shipped to Tanzania. Each meal feeds 4 people. Our youth were there. Missional, yes. Red Letter? We're working on that.

To Life.!

No comments: