Tuesday, January 30, 2007

CyberTale 11 - Blue Heron

As promised yesterday...

Here's the Blue Heron story, one of my original CyberTales, written in 1999 about my experiences in the 80's in Nebraska.

But since then, even until now, there are many more wonderful stories of Blue Heron crossing my horizon at times when I most needed direction and assurance. Each time it seemed so real that through the Blue Heron God was blessing me.

Now I'm hoping that this Blue Heron blog will be a blessing ... to me and others. TO LIFE.!

Love and God's Blessing

Dale


--------------
Blue Heron
--------------

God watches out for me when I travel. The blue heron tells me so.

Driving the Nebraska sandhills can be perilous.
There is neither lurking danger nor ominous threat.
The peril is in the monotony of solitary travel on quiet and desolate roads.

Happening upon a blue heron would shatter that monotony for me.
Sometimes I would see a heron silhouetted against the rim of a wet meadow punctuated with tufts of big blue stem.
Sometimes I would sight a heron lifting slowly and powerfully from the damp roadside ditch, and heading straight for the tops of a nearby windbreak of cottonwood trees.

Always the heron awakened me to the danger of the hypnotic weariness to which I was succumbing.
Always I thanked God for the timely gift of the blue heron and the blessing of having life.

I continue to travel today, back and forth over different but similarly wearisome roads,
but with little peril.
For I have marked in my mind every pond and puddle, every turn and treetop where I have seen a blue heron.

As I approach one of those spots my attention heightens.
I scan the horizon for a glimpse of a blue heron.
The dangerous monotony of the road is shattered.
And I am thankful again for God’s traveling mercies.

God is watching out for me. The blue heron tells me so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After reading the story in full and dwelling on it these past few weeks, I must admit my thoughts of the blue heron have somewhat changed. My feelings towards these wonderful birds are a bit different than yours being a new owner of a small coy pond that seems to be frequented by your esteemed birds for brunch. My first thought was to scare them away with a large, menacing plastic heron planted where all could see from their wayward view as they sweep swiftly from the sky.
Perhaps I have it wrong and should just raise plastic fish that both man and heron could equally enjoy.